Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Classroom Management: Attention Getters

I'm following up last summer's post about the "Class?" "Yes!" Whole Brain Teaching method. I want to introduce this approach of bringing the class together as well as the other ways that Mrs. Glidden and I will get third grade's attention.

Class? Yes!

To get the class’ attention I say ‘Class?’ and they respond ‘Yes!’. The key is that they say "Yes!" in the same style that I said "Class?". This technique is engaging and results in students stopping what they are doing to give me their undivided attention.

If I say "Classity-class-class?" they have to reply "Yessity-yes-yes!" If I say it with a high-pitched voice, they respond with a high-pitched voice. If I whisper, they say it in a whisper. Students have to match my tone and intensity. This is where the creativity and fun come in. 
The research behind why the class-yes approach is effective can be found at  wholebrainteaching.com

Additional methods

Mrs. Glidden and I will most often use the “Class? Yes!” technique. Variations include “Hocus pocus” to which the class responds “Everybody focus,” “1-2-3 eyes on me” “1-2 eyes on you,” “Macaroni cheese” “Everybody freeze,” and “Hands on top... That means stop! (hands on heads).” We also use math facts. One of us calls out a math fact and the kids reply with the answer. For example, one time we might practice multiplication doubles or another time we could say combinations of ten. The extra practice never hurts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs